Banana Crisis

Leah Leonard, Reporter

Did you know bananas are in a global crisis? Banana companies are collapsing in parts of Asia, Africa, and Australia. This have not happened since the 1960s when all the banana plantations in Central and South America were wiped out the industry. Banana industries are in a crisis because of the Panama Disease.

The Panama Disease is a disease that affects bananas. Panama is a fungal wilt disease that causes problems for the banana. Bananas that have Panama Disease are in serious need, even the companies are in need. Bananas need water and nutrients to flow through and with Panama Disease that’s not happening. Panama goes through the roots when it contaminates a banana and blocks the path for water and nutrients to flow easy.

With Panama Disease going around companies are failing. Like in the 1960s that could possibly happen now because it was the Panama Disease who wiped out the banana industry making the whole banana type go extinct. Companies are very worried about their business and money and they don’t want to have to get rid of all of the banana industries. You may be saying well does it affect people. It really doesn’t affect people but someone doesn’t want a nasty looking banana to eat. So if people don’t want to buy the bananas companies won’t be getting any money and will have to shut down which will result in a lot of unemployed people.

Even though Panama disease doesn’t affect people health wise without bananas it can. Think about all the vegans and vegetarians.  They don’t eat meat and if there are no bananas what type of fruit will they eat. They can just eat another fruit but then they won’t have all the nutrients they need. It says that adults are to eat two cups of fruit a day and one banana can give you one cup and then you can have different types of fruit in one day, that goes to everyone not just vegans or vegetarians. Also, bananas have other nutrients the body needs that other fruits don’t have.

In conclusion, bananas are in a global crisis. This type of banana might even go extinct like the other banana that went extinct from panama disease which is what these bananas have. Companies and producers that grow and sell bananas are in a global crisis because of panama disease, they won’t make any money, and people won’t want to buy infected bananas. So after reading this make sure that you watch out for what type of bananas you get and make sure they’re from a trusted source and don’t look all nasty and brown.

• Banana Crisis

News

Pierce Eagles Crush Tomlinson in First Game of the Season

• Banana Crisis

News

What is Memorial Day?

• Banana Crisis

School News

The Eagle Scholar Program

• Banana Crisis

News

Interview: Mrs. Workman

• Banana Crisis

World News

Trouble in Bangledesh

• School News

First Annual Pierce Student Showcase

• Banana Crisis

School News

Detroit Zoo- Here We Come!

• Banana Crisis

News

The New Google Gboard

• Banana Crisis

World News

Increasing Terrorist Attacks in the Middle East

• Banana Crisis

News

Lee M. Thurston High School Welcome Video

Banana Crisis