The Eagle Scholar Program

Jaylynn Banks, Reporter

The Eagle Scholars Program

The Eagle Scholars Program (ESP) is a program that is for students that are ahead of their grade level.  The ESP is replacing the Pierce Academic Institute (PAI).  The program has about 60 students in the sixth and seventh grades.  The eighth grade has about 30 students.  The Eagle Scholars has two classes of students except for the eighth graders.

The teachers in the ESP are nice, excellent, and helpful.  There are nine teachers.  Some of the teachers teach all three grades but others teach less.  There are only two teachers that teach all three grade levels: Mrs. Kusand Mrs. Ponder.  Mrs. Kus teaches Language Arts , Mrs. Ponder teaches Social Studies.  There are two teachers who teach to two out of the three grades,  they are Mrs. Kuksa, and Mr. Roth.  Mrs. Kuksa teaches the subject Math to sixth and seventh grade students.  Science is Mr. Roth´s  job to teach the sixth and eighth grade students science.  

Five out of the nine teachers only teach to one grade level.  They only have one ESP class each day.  The rest of the day they teach to their own regular classes.  The first teacher is Mrs. Wilson who teaches eighth grade Algebra.  The second teacher is Mr. Bzovi who teaches Language Arts to one of the two classes of sixth graders.  Mr. Bacolor and Mrs. Workman is the each teach a 7th grade science class.  The last teacher that teaches an ESP class is Mrs. Doherty.  She teaches one class of sixth grade social studies.  All of these teachers helped the students and teachers very much.  

Being an Eagle Scholar means you get some perks.   The first perk is that you get to sit anywhere at lunch.  The regular classes have to sit at an assigned table.  The second perk is that if you do a certain amount of ACC math done and your A.R reading goal has been accomplished you get to go on a field trip.  The field trip is to Zap Zone near the end of the year.  It is really fun.  None of the other classes get to go, just the Eagle Scholar students.  

Learning is the reason for going to school.  If you are in the Eagle Scholars Program it is for sure that you are going to learn something every single class.  You are not going to slide by in the classes.  It is a hard task to do.  An ESP student has to maintain at least 3.0 grade point average.  The working pace is faster than what you are used to.  The teachers have a higher standard for what the work has to look like.  If you do not understand what to do the teachers are willing to help.  They want you to succeed that is why this program was created.  There is one thing for sure.  You are going to put up to high standards.  Every you do it should be ESP quality.  This might have been said before but this is going to hard.  Being apart of the Eagle Scholars Program will probably be one of the hardest things to do.

• The Eagle Scholar Program

News

Pierce Eagles Crush Tomlinson in First Game of the Season

• The Eagle Scholar Program

World News

Banana Crisis

• The Eagle Scholar Program

News

What is Memorial Day?

• The Eagle Scholar Program

News

Interview: Mrs. Workman

• The Eagle Scholar Program

World News

Trouble in Bangledesh

• School News

First Annual Pierce Student Showcase

• The Eagle Scholar Program

School News

Detroit Zoo- Here We Come!

• The Eagle Scholar Program

News

The New Google Gboard

• The Eagle Scholar Program

World News

Increasing Terrorist Attacks in the Middle East

• The Eagle Scholar Program

News

Lee M. Thurston High School Welcome Video

The Eagle Scholar Program