The Global Boom in E-Sports

Kristian Eoll, Reporter

In this day in age, technology is a stronger focus for some instead of the physical sports.  Now there are “E-sports,” where players play online games for a team or 1 on 1 for a cash prize. Some (but not all) games include League of Legends, Call of Duty, Dota 2, Starcraft, and many more. People have been going crazy for the E-sports players, teams and games, but why?

First, the games of course.  Over 1 billion minutes of  E-sports play and players live streaming their gameplay.  Through this the audience get to know the players and then want to go out to see them play in person. Advertisers love to take advantage of this popularity and it allows them to have a new source of income. Companies advertise the games and everybody now knows and it keeps growing and growing.

Now, that E-sports are so big there are teams, coaches and players from around the world. The players usually range from 15 to 30 years old and play a variety of games. Because of this time consuming hobby these professionals live, practice and do everything together instead of going to college or getting a job. Some of the most successful of these players are also earning millions from their home from tournaments on Twitch and YouTube and other means of at home gaming and they are gaining  popularity at the same time.

Even though the typical gamer is a 18 year old guy in his mother’s basement. these players do not fit this stereotype.   “If you have a healthy body and mind, it makes you play better and have a better attitude towards your teammates and other players,” says Hai Lam.  Lam is a gamer who is considered the most successful professional gamer in the world.  Even though it is gaming there are still concerns over drug abuse and whether or not they should be banned. These drugs are performance enhancing drugs that increase reaction time or play longer.  For example, Adderall which is meant to help people who have ADHD. Even some colleges are getting into the action with some coaches being hired to UC Irvine.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/04/08/esports-booms-becomes-global-industry.html

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-30/international-gaming-tournaments-proving-esports-on-the-rise/6987696

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/05/tech/gaming-gadgets/esport-athletes-gaming-south-korea/

• The Global Boom in E-Sports

News

Pierce Eagles Crush Tomlinson in First Game of the Season

• The Global Boom in E-Sports

World News

Banana Crisis

• The Global Boom in E-Sports

News

What is Memorial Day?

• The Global Boom in E-Sports

School News

The Eagle Scholar Program

• The Global Boom in E-Sports

News

Interview: Mrs. Workman

• The Global Boom in E-Sports

World News

Trouble in Bangledesh

• School News

First Annual Pierce Student Showcase

• The Global Boom in E-Sports

School News

Detroit Zoo- Here We Come!

• The Global Boom in E-Sports

News

The New Google Gboard

• The Global Boom in E-Sports

World News

Increasing Terrorist Attacks in the Middle East

The Global Boom in E-Sports